Monday, January 01, 2007

Easier Than Weird

Melanie tagged me with the " Six Weird Things" meme that's making the rounds now --- I can only think of two things I would define as "weird" about myself. Does not finding yourself weird count as weird?

At any rate, that one will have to wait.

She has also, though, challenged me to come up with 10 things I love, each of which must begin with the first letter of the first name of my first grade teacher. That was Louise Polk, at Glencliff Elementary School, so I am tickled to be able to start with:

1) Lincoln --- Love, adore, worship. Practically every list I'm ever asked to make begins with him. My idol and my hero.

2) Lions --- Graceful, dignified, proud, comic, beautiful. What's not to love?

3) Lobster --- As in to eat. With drawn butter. Couldn't ever choose a live one out of a tank and send it to its watery doom, but if it's prepared outside my vision, I can deal.

4) Laughing --- Mostly, I love the sound of my children really finding something truly funny, but I enjoy a gut-busting laugh, too.

5) Libraries --- The quiet. The out-of-the-way places where you can hide and concentrate. Or daydream. All those books, any of which can come home with you. . .

6) Letters --- Writing them as well as receiving them. There is such divine pleasure in opening a mailbox to find something someone else, far away. composed themselves, addressed themselves, posted themselves. Thank goodness there are still people in the world who share my love of the non-form-letter.

7) Lasagna --- Especially my mother's. You get an occasional bite of the edge, where everything is crunchy, but not burned, or that perfect noodle with mostly cheese and meat, and just enough sauce to hold the tastes together. Aaaaahhhh. . .

8) Linebackers --- If you don't watch football, this won't matter to you. But I love linebackers. Middle ones especially. 'Backers are usually uniquely intense, and play the entire field, and make crunching hits. My all-time favorite pro football player is/was a linebacker: Jack Lambert. Yes, he played middle.

9) Lavalieres --- Necklaces I like long. Really long. (Although I always wear a regular-length pendant Daddy gave me.) Thanks to my son's theater obsession, I learned this word for long necklaces from "Chicago." See? Entertainment and education needn't be mutually exclusive.

10) Left-handedness --- Yeah, yeah. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know the drill.

Now, I am supposed to give you (yes, you!) a letter of the alphabet to use for your List of Ten. Let's see. . . How 'bout you pick the middle letter of your middle name?

8 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Bridget said...

Lions - yes.
Libraries - yes.
Lasagna - yes.
Left-handedness - yes.

Hm. The others are also fine, but I am not as passionate about them as you sound to be.

Perhaps we are related?? ;-)

(Now I have to do my first grade teacher's thing AND my middle name thing - see you in about a month!)

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger teabird17 said...

Love the lavaliers, the libraries, the lions. Best of all, of course the LETTERS.

I like the way this meme is morphing - no longer are we bound by a pick from a bag of Scrabble tiles....

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Love all the L's! Linebackers, I have to agree with that one. :-)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Love your List of Ls. This one is definitely easier than the weird meme, which is waiting in my drafts, too.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Amy J said...

Thanks for the lovely and encouraging comments. I meant to let you know that I have a sole lion on my Christmas tree, and each time I see it it reminds me of you.

Sorry I haven't been able to put that in an email to you, but at least you know now.

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Fybr Grrl said...

My middle name is Dawn, so I'll split the ten between A and W.
1. Apples, especially the green ones.
2. Animals. I have a huge affinity for the snuggly cuddly ones, but even the large and not so easily cuddled are great in my book.
3. Alpaca yarn. MMMMMMM! So snuggly.
4. Abbey Road, I'm a huuuuuge Beatles fan.
5. Afghans, the ones made for you by someone that loves you and knows you're worth the effort.
6. Watermelon with salt on it. Especially on the Fourth of July. It always brings back great childhood memories.
7. Wool yarn. The best basic you could ask for.
8. Whispers in your ear from someone you love.
9. WWW. The internet has completely changed our daily lives.
10. Writing. (and wreading?)

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Fybr Grrl said...

My middle name is Dawn, so I'll split the ten between A and W.
1. Apples, especially the green ones.
2. Animals. I have a huge affinity for the snuggly cuddly ones, but even the large and not so easily cuddled are great in my book.
3. Alpaca yarn. MMMMMMM! So snuggly.
4. Abbey Road, I'm a huuuuuge Beatles fan.
5. Afghans, the ones made for you by someone that loves you and knows you're worth the effort.
6. Watermelon with salt on it. Especially on the Fourth of July. It always brings back great childhood memories.
7. Wool yarn. The best basic you could ask for.
8. Whispers in your ear from someone you love.
9. WWW. The internet has completely changed our daily lives.
10. Writing. (and wreading?)

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger rtfgvb7801 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

 

Post a Comment

<< Home