Saturday, November 25, 2006

Help from Melanie

The singular Melanie has been a source of comfort and support in these recent days*, and she has posted this meme on her excellent blog. The answers to these questions will surely raise one's spirits!
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Frankly, I'm a fan of both!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Santa's presents are not wrapped --- that's how you know they're from him.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Actually, I prefer blue lights on the tree. But between colors and white, most definitely white.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No. Never have.
5. When do you put up your decorations? The day after Thanksgiving. A family tradition.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Pecan-topped mashed sweet potatoes.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? One Christmas was actually white, and outside our house, in the snow, were two sets of footprints: one from a pair of large boots, the other a set of dainty hooves with an "R."
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Doesn't everyone know the truth? He's a great guy!!
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes --- everyone gets to open just one.
10. What kind of decorations are on your Christmas Tree? The aforementioned blue lights, and ornaments of all types. Bought, made, received, some from my childhood. Every year, we get one new ornament for the "family tree," and we each get one for the trees we have in our rooms.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread? Love, loVE, LOVE!! (As a Southerner, I've never had enough to grow weary of it.).
12. Can you ice skate? No way. I can't even roller skate.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? A drum set.
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? The sheer joy it awakens in my children.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? My Aunt Louise's green Jell-o salad.
16 What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to a live Nativity Scene on Christmas Eve.
17. What tops your tree? An angel made from handkerchiefs. (Which doesn't sound very pretty, but actually is.)
18. What is your favourite holiday book? Something I read to my children when they were little; I'd have to look. . .
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Traditional: "O, Holy Night." Modern: "Please Come Home for Christmas." And I have to mention Aaron Neville's "Louisiana Christmas Day," which is the only holiday song I can, and do, listen to year-round.
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yummy? Yummy!

*Shannon and Rox have also been, well, rocks. And thanks to every other one of you who has been concerned.

3 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger teabird17 said...

(hug) I love your answers - and someday, I want to taste pecan-topped mashed sweet potatoes. They sound ambrosial!
I hope you'll post a photo of the handkerchief angel!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Rox said...

Green Jello Salad.

I'm scared.

And missing you. Will you ever email me again? Eh?

(that was guilt, fyi)

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Hey, we have a family 'Great Aunt Georgie's (green jell-o) Salad', perhaps we should share notes, lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home