Sunday, October 08, 2006

Secret Pal Answers

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I am recklessly enamored of banana silk, and, through previous SPs, have also fallen for Berrocco's Ultra Alpaca. But I don't expect anyone to go outside their budget just to impress. I am no yarn snob, by any stretch of the imagination. If you can knit with it, I like it.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a glass vase for my taller needles, and a pottery piece for the shorter ones.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? I've been knitting for 18 years or so. My mother taught me. She had tried when I was much younger, but I refused to learn, thinking knitting was so uncool. I kick myself over all the years I missed because of my attitude. Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? Until I can knit with DPNs, and do intarisa, I'm an intermediate
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, I have one on Amazon. (Linking is failing me now.)
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) Gardenia.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Caramel, toffee, shortbread --- always in the mood for them. Chocolate cravings come and go.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Only occasionally do I paint/decorate/decoupage wooden serving trays. Do you spin? No, I don't.
8. What kind of music do you like? I like harmony (Bee Gees, Blind Boys of Alabama), blues (Bessie Smith, Delbert McClinton).Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) No, still fairly old-school here.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? All shades of purple. I also like warm blues and rich, earthy browns. Grays. Any colors you just can't stand? Orange. No way.
10. What is your family situation? A widow of 8 years with 2 teenaged children. Do you have any pets? Can't imagine life wihtout them! Two dogs, three cats, one Siamese fighting fish.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to all four, though I have a pretty big (as in hard-to-fit) head.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Fingerless mitts. But any combination of good yarn and an interesting pattern is a joy.
13. What are you knitting right now? Mittens, a scarf and mitred cotton squares (ala' Mason-Dixon Knitting).
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Absolutely.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Straights. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Plastics always break on me. I do like the new lucite ones.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No, I don't. They're too pricey. Plus, winding the balls myself is part of my process.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? I don't keep them around. I either finish or unravel.
18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas, most especially Christmas Eve.
19. Is there anything that you collect? Loads! Lions, Yodas, Fozzie Bears, lion and lamb anything, Nativity scenes, life masks.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? I want the Rosner Not Just Socks books, and the one with Andean Treasures in the title. (Sorry, I'm blanking. . .) What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None anymore. I like going to bookstores too much.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I desperately need to learn to knit with more than one color.
22. Are you a sock knitter? Yes indeed. Usually on straights, but I can now do the two-circular-method. What are your foot measurements? About 10" from my freakishly long second toe to the back of my heel, and 8 1/2" around the ball of my foot.
23. When is your birthday? February 12th.

1 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Fybr Grrl said...

What yarn weights do you prefer? Any pattern in particular that you need yarn for?
Would you prefer purple yarn or do you have enough of that already?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home