Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Next in Line (after Jade)

I've seen this on several other blogs, and wondered about what my answers would be. Now, having been meme'd by Jade, I can't run and hide any longer.
1. One book that changed your life: Hate to go academic/professional on you, but my knee-jerk answer to this is Erving Goffman's Asylums. It assured me that I had done well in choosing Sociology, and it put me on the scent of my Master's thesis.
2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Honestly, I don't re-read books for some reason. But I have gone to CS Lewis' On Grief twice. Unfortunately.
3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Cheating utterly here, but this is a book, after all --- I can't imagine life without a thesaurus.
4. One book that made you laugh: Talking to Dragons by Patricia Wrede. I bought it long ago for my son, who loved it, passed it on to me, and "Look what I found --- a whole lot of dwarves!" is still a gut-busting inside joke for the two of us.
5. One book that made you cry: Charlotte's Web by EB White. OK, this one I have read more than once, as it was a read-aloud for both my children. And I cried at the end both times.
6. One book that you wish had been written: A Lincoln autobiography.
7. One book that you wish had never been written: Oh, God save us from anyone who has been in the news for two or three days and thinks we want to read a "tell-all."
8. One book you’re currently reading: Not currently reading anything, but plan to start The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick shortly. Then on to Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller.
9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Shelby Foote's Stars in Their Courses: The Gettysburg Campaign. Or any / all of his Civil War series.
10. Now tag five people: Melanie W., Craftlilly, Carrie "My-Middle-Name-is-Patience, Francoise and LibrarySarie.

5 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I cry every time I read Charlotte's Web.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Wow, that is a deep list, I should swim back to the shallow end now, lol. Thanks for doing it! I enjoyed 'getting to know you' a little better.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous francoise said...

Great meme! I will have to sit and think about my answers...

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger teabird17 said...

Hey, check it out:

http://teareads.blogspot.com/2006/08/very-selective-book-meme.html

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

Oh you! I've been eyeing that meme too. Now I have to do it.

You're going to be so sorry when you read the thesaurus and find out how it ends when that's all you've got to read.....;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home