Tuesday, July 25, 2006


The finished scarf cowl! Really like how this is going to work --- lots of different ways to wear it, not too heavy (as it is made with laceweight yarn), colors terrific. And very easy to make (all in one piece and garter stitch.)

Fortunately, we've gotten a little rain of late, and it isn't quite as suffocating around here. Still hot --- don't misread --- just not as hot. Knitting with anything above the aforementioned weight is again possible, if only in short, air conditioned bursts.

As for the latest sticks-and-string adventures here:

Just as there are knitters who make socks mostly, there are those who make, primarily, dishcloths. Socks escaped me for the longest time, until I came across some nice 2-needle patterns. Then, thanks to the lovely (and painfully absent) Elaine, socks on 2-circulars became a reality. (Yes, Roxanne, I know --- DPNs are within my reach. . .) So, the sock-knitter-ranks grew by one.

Dishcloths, sad to say, have never been the bulk of my knitting, but, rather, projects that are quickly, easily, and gratifyingly done. When that cardigan just won't cooperate, the shawl pattern is found to be one-stitch-off two-thirds of the way through, stopping and whipping up a dishcloth is a great restorer of confidence. Over the weekend, I rediscovered the joy of the simple cloth, making a couple with some Tibetan cotton that, ironically, Elaine had sent me during our Secret Pal experience. I've still a little of it left, and will show all the cloths made from it when it is all gone.

8 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Marji said...

the wonder of it is, you could model that neckscarf in the middle of summer.
Dishcloths huh? They still fly under my radar - maybe someday.
and agh! another succumbs to the sockknitters. I'm frightened, I truly am ;)

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Marji said...

oh, i keep forgetting to stop by and tell you, but everytime they aired one of those IBM commercials during the Tour de France - so breathtakingly narrated with voice over by Sam Elliott, I thought of you!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love socks and dishcloths. You can count me as part of both groups!

Love the cowl.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Katrina said...

I enjoy knitting dishcloths too. They're great for trying out new stitch patterns. I learned to knit cables on a dishcloth. Much less at stake than if I was knitting an entire sweater.

I knit my first pair of socks on double points. Though mighty ungainly at first, you really do get used to them after a while. Next I want to learn how to knit socks using the magic loop or on two circulars. Many people prefer either of those methods to dpn's.

Beautiful scarf cowl.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger teabird17 said...

Right now, I'm knitting a lace shawl and dishcloths. There's something primal and soothing about a dishcloth - and they're wonderful as facecloths because they exfoliate gently. (Better not tell Clinique - they'll start marketing $20 dishcloths.)

The cowl is beautiful.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

The scarf came out really nice! Even if the idea of wearing it right now gives me the heebie jeebies. It's over 100! Again.

I keep meaning to knit dishcloths but I haven't yet.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really like your neck scarf looks as tho it is comfortable i only really enjoy fine knit items and I agree it is amazing that you can model it in this heat humidity has taken over here! not doing much knitting because of it! Great to see you are doing so much maybe some insentive for me! love the stories of the bear and the unicorns!
Secret Pal!

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Rox said...

Dpn schme'pn. Who needs em'. I'm much more impressed with your circs knitting!

Diggin' the cowl!

You know - we should have a dishcloth exchange swap thingy (DEST?)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home