Monday, July 31, 2006

And Another Thing About Living in a College Town. . .

Summers are nice. Traffic is light, parking is plentiful, restaurants aren't wall-to-wall. Then, all of sudden, one day,

they're back.

And they have apparently forgotten every single sight in the town, because tanned arms are jutting out of cars, pointing at things. And some of those arms are attached to hands that, by all rights, should be on the steering wheel. And you cannot find a decent parking place, and store aisles are jammed with parties of college students having conversations with each other and whomever happens to be on their cell phones. And the house vibrates to unwanted (and unliked) music as they drive by, trailing their U-Hauls.

Whee.

Thank goodness I can come home and take refuge in my little space, with my knitting and my Dr. Pepper. (I try not to think about my little boy being part of one of these Mongol hordes in about a year's time. I like to think he has been raised with a sense of decorum and a set of manners.)

5 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have your KTC swap package ready to go and will send it tomorrow! Hope you like the goodies--I had lots of fun putting them together. Wish I could have sent chocolate, too.

I've lived in college towns and know exactly what you're talking about.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

I feel your pain.

And, THANK YOU! I got your package in the mail today and thought maybe my name got mixed up in a Swap but no! For me! That's just so sweet of you, Kim, and just out of the sweetness of your heart. Awesome. I love that yarn, but I think you knew I would! And the magnetic C! I missed it in the first pic. Awesome. Thank you!

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the magnet!!!
Your One Skein Secret Pal

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Heh, heh! Yep, and it takes a while before it settle down, no?

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Marji said...

LOL, sorry Kim, but my dsd is one of the arriving hoardes. She got there last night. She'll be living in her sorority house. (after I showed her how to use the sewing machine, she made two blankets for sorority sisters, and she learned to knit a hat last week). good luck with it. I came from the opposite situation - I lived in a tourist town, and we waited for Sept to come so that everyone would GO HOME!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home