Friday, May 19, 2006

Secret Pal Answers

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I honestly can't think of any that I would flatly refuse. I did fall crazy in love with banana silk lately. Come to think of it, all the silks and silk blends I've worked with have been nice. But I am a widowed mother of two --- not too much room in the budget to be a snob!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a tall blue glass vase right next to my bed for my straights. My circulars and double-points are in a plastic box, as they are used less.
3. How long have you been knitting? At least 18 years. Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? As I cannot use double-points, do intarsia nor Fair Isle to suit myself, I still use the label "Intermediate."
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, I have a list on Amazon. With surprisingly few knitting-related items.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Gardenia. But I also like honeysuckle, rain/ocean/thunderstorm-type things. And virtually anything from Mistral.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Favorite sweet is caramel, followed closely by toffee. Creamy, buttery stuff that sticks in your teeth. ;)
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I am going to cross-stitch again over the summer; that was my obsession before I began to knit in earnest. I also paint and decoupage wooden trays. Do you spin? No, I don't.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Bee Gees, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Maria McKee, Everly Brothers, Blind Boys of Alabama, Bessie Smith. Lots of others. No, I can't play MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color? Purple. Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? A look in my closet shows mostly purples, blues, grays, black, cream, a sprinkling of browns. Scarcely any red, few yellows. Any colors you just can't stand? Orange. Not no way, not no how.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I live with two teenagers, 2 dogs, 3 cats, a hamster and a fish.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? "Yes" to every one.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Fingerless gloves.
13. What are you knitting right now? A pair of socks, a mohair poncho, an alpaca pullover.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Most definitely!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I still prefer straights, though I can now knit socks on two circulars. I do not like plastic needles, and don't have many bamboo. But I do like the ones I have.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Do my knees, or the outstretched arms of my daughter count? (Frankly, winding is one of the pleasures of knitting for me. Part of the process. I don't think I want a winder just yet.)
17. How did you learn to knit? My mother taught me. (She used my outstretched arms as her winder. . .)
18. How old is your oldest UFO? I don't keep them. If I see I won't finish something, I rip it out.
19. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas.
20. Is there anything that you collect? Loads! Lions, lions and lambs, Yodas, Fozzie Bears, Nativity scenes, bookmarks.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I enjoy going to bookstores too much to subscribe to magazines. As for patterns or books, this time 'round, I do have some! The "Bohemian Tunic" from KnitPicks, the Spring/Summer 2006 Filatura di Crosa book, Not Just Socks by Sandi Rosner, and Options: Accessories by Margie Morse Pulley.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I really must learn how to knit multicolored projects, but just haven't given myself the time. Getting comfortable with the 2-circulars sock method made me very proud.
23. Are you a sock knitter? Yes. What are your foot measurements? Well, I wear an 8 1/2 - 9 shoe, so . . .
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) February 12th

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home