Friday, May 12, 2006

Mutter, Mutter, Mutter. . .

This entire phone surveillance plot has me livid. I can't even speak, much less type, about it coherently, I'm so angry. "Trust us. We won't tell you what we're doing, but it's lawful." Please. "And don't ask any questions. Asking questions means you're a doubter. And disloyal. And putting all kinds of people into harm's way." Sure.

Not a good week for authority-types in my world.

On a much lighter note: two new buttons to your right: one for Secret Pal 8 (no spoilee assigned yet) and one for a good, good friend's blog, Tea Leaves. Melanie and I began as pen pals, and have become close over several years --- she's smart and deep and an entertaining read. If you need a password to let her know I sent you, try "Chthonic Crayon Woman."

(Inside jokes don't play well in print, do they?)

I've looked at the checkbook, and think I'll be able to manage a low-price digital camera in a couple of days. Something has to happen: Hannah graduates from middle school next Thursday. And then, can you believe it, school is over for them? She and Briton begin their summer vacations a full month before me.


Knitting-wise --- I am back to getting things done. Though my chief remaining complaint about being sick is lack of energy, not having been able to knit follows closely behind. My arms just ached too much to hold the needles. But I've made sound progress on the chocolate alpaca pullover. It looks and feels like I'll be running out of yarn, and, since it was a Secret Pal gift, buying more isn't an option. Fortunately, I've used a contrast for the roll hem and neck, so I can cheat and finish out the sleeves with that. I don't recall having ever worked with alpaca before, and this is sumptuous. Thank you again, Bethanie!

Also have a sock languishing at the bottom of the bag --- the end of my Cirque du Socks involvement. (Button taken down; very sad. Kudos to Elaine for getting us all motivated.) And, speaking of Elaine, a scarf being made from what was left of a gi-normous ball of top-notch sock yarn bestowed upon me by the Pink Purl Grrl. I'm almost in the mood to take on another Scrap Afghan, which is my best way to finish off odd bits of yarn, and have something to wrap up in to boot.

I'd call friends and ask for donations, but I wish to stay off LISTS. . .





5 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Let me know what kind of scraps you want and I'd be happy to donate.

Glad you are feeling better and getting some knitting done.

Oh, and trust the government, especially the current version? Not coming from my corner!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hey sweetie, whatcha looking for? I sent Katy home with lots and lots of end-of-project leftovers as she's teachin most of Kadena AFB how to knit and yarn is scarce in Japan. However, there's still quite a bit and I know Scott would love for me to move some of it outta the closet.

Drop a line...if I've got it, it's yours!

Hugs and love!

PS...Scott's got the same-ish thing you've had. We're on week three, he's broken out with raashes all over (looks like chickenpox and itches but doctors can no longer look at them and tell, so a blood test, which takes 10 days to return results was done. Meanwhile, he could have infected half the county.) Major spasmodic coughing and choking. I'm praying hard for a) him to feel better and b) me not to get it.

Let me know about the yarn, 'k?

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I see you're doing the One Skein swap too!

Melanie is such a sweetie.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Happy Mother's Day from your Knitting Vacation pal!

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger teabird17 said...

Thanks Jennifer!! (Back at you...)

And thank you, my dear friend - I'll be on the lookout for visitors! And please tell me what kinds of scraps you'd like. I'd love to contribute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home