Tuesday, January 24, 2006

One Down

Received an early birthday present today: an elegantly thin silver cuff (lots of silver cuffs for me of late) from Abundant Yarns. Purchased at the insistence of my mother, it is engraved with the following:

". . .as soon as I finish this row"

This is a sentiment which has been expressed in my family for at least two generations. My mother used to tell me that she "would get to it when I finish this row." One day at work, knitting because there was nothing else to do, she told her boss, who asked her something, "Let me get to the end of this row."

My mother has never been accused of not having a backbone.

Briton and Hannah know the cry as well. "Hang on, I'm almost to the end of the row, and then I'll (insert appropriate description of helpful activity here.)"

Why can't a knitter leave the work in mid-row? I know why I can't, which I'll get to in a minute, but why does the idea deserve a special phrase, which deserves engraving, which elicits knowing nods from every knitter who reads it?

When I was taught to knit, a "tip" that was delivered in a firm and don't-doubt-what-is-about-to-be-said voice was, "Never stop work on a knit row. It will leave a crease in your garment. I don't know why, but it will happen. If you're just going to be gone a minute, of course, it's OK. But if you're stopping for any period of time, make the last row a purl one."

So, if you finish a knit row, you must knit one more to avoid The Crease. And, almost without fail, having to knit back across will wake you up just enough to think you can manage another trip. Which leads to the need for one more purl row.

It's a wonder any of us ever put our knitting down, huh?

Anyway, thank you for my bracelet, Mama. And all the knitting lessons.

6 Comments:

At 3:54 AM, Anonymous francoise said...

Yes, my head nodded in agreement at every line of your post... "Let me finish my row" is a very familiar cry in my house too (here everybody is nodding their heads, even the cat). This should be the Knitters's motto.

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful post - all knitters know exactly what you mean.
SP7

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jade said...

That is a lovely post, thanks for sharing. If I wish you a very happy early birthday, just how early will I be?

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Rox said...

"OK, just let me finish this row" is my mantra around the house. The whole 'must finish the row' thing is a big issue for me. To leave a item halfway thru a row (unless its on circs) is just - wrong.

Which is why I never take bigger items with me to work on in public. At the doctors office - its always something small like socks or a scarf. Imagine making the nurse wait that 10 minutes it would take me to finish the row on something huge? No way!

:)

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I've been known to say the same thing.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous katie said...

And I seem to say that when I am knitting in the round as well. Even though I know that when I reach the end of the round I will need to add a couple more stitches to keep the stitchmarker in place. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home