Monday, January 02, 2006

I simply adore Tennessee, and love my mother (and spending time with her) more than I can say. But it's nice to be home, to see that the cats and the dogs survived our absence, to sleep on my own pillows. . .

For whatever reason, our digital camera did not travel well, and so I have no photos to share. It's a bloody shame, too, as Mama made me a gorgeous brown tweed poncho and a simply beautiful dusty rose shawl (extra, extra long --- precisely as I prefer.) With all the charity knitting she does (and there's a full box of yarn from Warm the World there right now), she still found time to make something for me. And I am crazy about both things. Knitters honestly appreciate knitting, don't we? Forget that I can make myself a poncho or a shawl --- I know the time and care and devotion that it takes, and I am always flattered when someone knits something for me.

Along those lines, I took the socks that Susie made for me, and Mama, whom I consider a Most Expert Knitter, was much impressed with them. I cranked out 2 hats (one from her WtW yarn) and a scarf while I was there, and she commented on how fast a knitter I am. What she failed to realize is that here, I, invariably, get no more than 20 minutes or so of uninterrupted knitting time, while there, I could sit and sit and sit. No dogs to take out, no phones to answer, no papers to grade, no blog to update, no blogs to read (although I was jonesing after 3 days and made a hasty dash to the public library to see what you'd all been up to!)

The children go back to school in the morning, I follow the next day. This is our first quarter on a four-day week, which means I have to lecture longer each day, but have all of Friday off! Oh, the knits I can knit! And I found a cute little knitting diary in Nashville in which I'm going to try and keep all projects and purchases recorded to look back on at year's end. Right now, the only entry is a pair of socks.

But, you have to start somewhere, no?

3 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Kim - I can't subscribe to your blog through Bloglines because it says you don't have an RSS feed. I have no idea about any of this but can you get an RSS feed?? I want to have your blog on my bloglines. :(

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Rox said...

Yay! She's back!

Can't wait to see photos of the new knits.

I also bought a knitting journal last weekend. I'm thinking about getting an instant camera (brain fog can't think of the name!!) so I can put pictures in there too.

Lets say in 10 years we get together and read our journals from this year. Deal?!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm glad to hear that your visit was a good one. How sweet of your mother to knit for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home