Monday, January 30, 2006

Hannah has been home today with a head cold. The term doesn't capture the horror; unnatural sounds are coming out of her nose and throat. She is pretty barky when she talks, and spent most of the weekend laying on the couch under my covers and on my pillow. When she got up this morning, she had no balance, the congestion was so bad. So I've been home with her today --- couldn't leave her alone like that. A hurried/harried doctor's visit, a prescription and an Emergency Icee later, she is feeling some better.

SO. . . Since I couldn't teach my regular crowd today, it's time for your homework. This is, truly, something I ask my classes to do each quarter --- they take their choices and work through sociological terms and theories with them. None of you will have to go that far, just provide the list. Ready?

You are having a dinner party. You can invite anyone you like --- alive, dead, fictional, real --- but you are limited to seven guests. To whom do you send invitations?

GO!

6 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Alfred Hitchcock
Quentin Tarantino
Virginia Woolf
Queen Elizabeth I
Ender Wiggins (from the Orson Scott Card book Ender's Game)
St. Thomas Aquinas
Charles Darwin

Now there would be a lively group.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Purl said...

Thank you so much for the fantastic package! I enjoyed my morning tea in the great cup today. And I am also a big fan of Alan Rickman, so I can't wait to listen to Return of the Native.
I loved reading Tess, so I can't wait to listen and read the book. Thanks again for the great gifts.

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Elaine said...

I hope you guys are on the mend. There sure is a lot of crud going around this winter. I'm working on my list of seven for you, but I may hand it in a little late.

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Elaine said...

OK Teach! I have my list, probably one of many depending on the day you ask.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Susan B. Anthony
Harriet Tubman
Fredrick Douglass
Eleanor Roosevelt
Gloria Steinem
Cindy Sheehan

First topic: What personal sacrifices do you willingly make for your cause, and what sacrifices are you unwilling to make (or are otherwise thrust upon you).

Oh, and if I had Alan Rickman over for dinner I would invite you too!

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Rox said...

You know. I've been thinking about this. To say whom I'd really like to invite would make me sound uncultured, to say who I think would be the norm - would be me being a big fake.

I'm going with the uncultured nerd.

Cuz, I know I'm loved irregardless.

;)

Dinner party - I can invite anyone.


My Grandfather
Mary Magdalene
My Father
Oprah Winfrey
(Yeah, I said Oprah)
Dean Koontz
Jodi Foster
Johnny Carson

There I said it.

:)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger teabird17 said...

This is strange - I left a comment yesterday....

Virginia Woolf
Lytton Strachey
Diane Ackerman
Jane Hirshfield
Jo March
Cynthia Ozick
Joan Didion

 

Post a Comment

<< Home