Saturday, November 26, 2005

Ya Gotta Love Teenagers

So both my children come to me in the last couple of days and say they want sweaters. Hannah wants a Weasley sweater (Harry Potter fans all recognize), and that's fine. Weasley sweaters are all-season. No great hurry, no particular deadline. Except for the one in the mind of a 13-year-old, who suspects that mothers really can do magic, and can whip out a garment on demand.

Briton, all of 17, wants a Christmas sweater. In the last 3 days, the child has decided he wants a Christmas sweater. Does he see me knitting every day? Does he pay attention to how slowly the rows move? Does he know he could have asked for one of these in, oh, say, AUGUST??

And yet, being a mom, I will try and get his Christmas sweater done by Christmas. Because he has never asked me to knit anything for him. Ever. When he was a little boy, I made him lots of stuff. But, when he was able to voice his own fashion tastes, he never mentioned a handmade cardigan, or a lovingly-crafted hat and scarf set. Until now.

Problem is, to get his sweater made by Christmas, Hannah's Weasley will have to take a backseat. Which will engender bad feelings. (And no reminding her that she could very well knit her own sweater. . . Hey, I've been at the mom game long enough to see a minefield laid before me.)

So, we will venture out today and try to find yarns. And I will cast on for sweaters. And, quietly, in the back of my mind, long for the days when clothes could simply be put on the children without their comment.

But also be very glad and proud that they both want Mom to make something for them.

2 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous francoise said...

Mum ARE supposed to perform miracles... and NOT to upset any of their offspring when they want something at the same time... I know how you feel at the moment and you have all my sympathy. Good luck!

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Rox said...

I was going to offer to make a sweater for one of them but I'm thinkin' it would not have the same sentimental attachment as yours.

But... the offer still stands. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home