Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Making Friends

I've never been what you would call a social butterfly. My name has never been at the top of anyone's Have to Invite list. All my life, I've been able to be alone. It hasn't always been my preference, but I can do it. I can eat out by myself. I can go to a movie or a concert, or anywhere, by myself. The phone doesn't have to ring non-stop in my world.

Maybe it comes from being an only child, although I did have a group of neighbor friends that I saw and played with daily as I grew up. Whatever its source, the ability to spend time in my own company without shame or embarassment is one of my strongest skills.

All that said, when I discovered the knitting blog world, one of my great desires was to dive in and be a part of it. To make friends. To send e-mails to people whom I liked, and who seemed to like me in return. Ask questions, have inside jokes, that sort of thing. If you go back into my archives, you'll find a post --- complete with frowny-face graphic --- bemoaning my inability to get involved in any Secret Pal or Secret-type Anything program.

Well, all that has changed now. There are people out there in cyberspace whom I now consider good friends, in the literal sense of both words. People whose blogs I read daily, whose words entertain and inspire me, people who comment on my silliness here, and respond when I comment on their offerings. You should all know who you are, and you should know that I thank you from the bottom of my little knitter's heart. And the bottom of my just-a-person's one, too.

And to the Secret Ones, who send me good wishes and goody packages, you are invaluable as well. I just don't know your names yet.

3 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Wowza I got my Sock Scrap Swap package yesterday and I just want to say Thank You! You really spoiled me :) I'm posting a pic on my blog now!

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Rox said...

You know - ironically enough I just posted a comment on Lisa's blog about you. As I was posting it I thought about if you minded me using the term "friend" to describe us.

Now - I know.... I was right to go with my first instinct. ;)

You are my friend - whethah you like it or not!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger bethieee said...

Hugs...
Yay, 'net friends!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home