Tuesday, October 18, 2005

J

I have a crochet hook. A Boye aluminum crochet hook. Size J, color blue. Just like who-know-how-many-other Boye aluminum crochet hooks. Except this one is MY crochet hook. Ya follow?

There is something comforting and comfortable about this hook. I keep it on my nightstand, as most of my knitting is done sitting on my bed. It is in easy reach there. Every bit of crocheting I do (which isn't that much, really) is done with this hook. Don't care what a pattern calls for, necessarily. If a J hook won't look too abominably out of proportion, a J hook will I use.

Last night, I needed to seam up the second of a pair of mittens. Reach over to the nightstand for my hook --- it's not there. Momentary panic. Where is it? Could it be lost? Again?

Several months ago, I lost my blue crochet hook. Misplaced it, as it turned out, but gone is gone. I needed a crochet hook. And even though I wanted my blue one, I told myself, as a thinking, rational adult,

"Come on! Go buy another aluminum hook, size J. Blue, if they have it. It will be the same thing. You're being ever-so-slightly ridiculous."

Off to the store I go. I'm sure you saw this coming: they didn't have any blue hooks in stock. Flash of panic.

"Just get one. Geez! It's a crochet hook, for crying out loud! It's not like having to match blood types!"

I bought a pink one. It wasn't the same. I found my blue one later, heaved a gargantuan sigh of relief, and left the pink crochet hook to the Fates. (To this day, if I had to find it, I don't think I could.)

So there I am last night, without my blue hook. Several painful seconds pass before I realize it's probably in the den, where I had finished a baby bonnet over the weekend. Now, all I had to do was get up and walk the few feet down the hall to get my blue hook, and all would be well.

But. . . Were you ever so comfy, so perfectly fitted into a place and a moment and a "groove" of work that distrubing it in any way was anathema? That's where I was last night. And, besides, a lovely bamboo crochet hook, size J, was on my nightstand. Within easy, non-interrupting reach.

I've never used a bamboo crochet hook before. This was a gift, and it is pretty. And since I knew where my blue hook was, I rationalized the bamboo's use. Heck, I should give it a try, I thought. Can't hurt.

You see this coming, too, don't you?

WHY, oh WHY didn't I get up and get my blue Boye aluminum crochet hook? I got the mitten seamed (there's part of me that was muttering against being bested by a piece of wood, no matter how many stitches dropped or got split), but it wasn't the same. And as I went through the house before bed, turning out all the lights, I paused in the den to look at my blue hook. I felt unfaithful, somehow. Yet I was comforted knowing it was still here, forgiving and willing to take on the next project.

It is going back on my nightstand. May it never wander far again.

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger Tanya Nichols said...

I loved that! May your blue J crochet hook never leave you...hehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home