Sunday, October 16, 2005

Free Association

I failed to mention that all the while I was working on the socks pictured below, Emmylou's cover of The Band's "When I Paint My Masterpiece" ran through my head. No idea why. But every time I picked up the needles, there it would be.

I'm quite a fan of the human species. We're remarkably adaptive, and most of us are fairly decent a fair percentage of the time. Very few members of the species do I find truly loathesome (although Karl Rove vaults immediately to mind. . .) And one of the things I like best about us is that we have the capacity to free associate. Like me with the socks with Emmylou.

But there's more.

Emmy's version of "When I Paint My Masterpiece" almost always reminds me of Viggo Mortensen.

Viggo Mortensen? He's fine and everything, but why in the world does that song pull him into my mind?

Viggo has the same birthday as my son. This coming Thursday. Which reminds me that I have to order a cake.

See how free association/train of thought works? We're an astounding species.

1 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Anonymous marianne said...

hi there! I came across your blog from Susie/Snooze's blog and thought I'd say hi. in the past year I've become a fan of Emmylou Harris. haven't heard the song When I Paint My Masterpiece, though...now I have to find out where I can hear it! (I also love Viggo, but who doesn't?)
anyway, hope you have a great day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home