Thursday, September 29, 2005

A Good Deed Spoiled

My Secret Pal lives out of the country. "No biggie," I think. "Sort of adds an extra element of cool to the whole thing." So, I box up her first really sizeable shipment of goodies, truck off to the Post Office after class, and discover I have to declare the contents of the box for Customs.

?

I'm not terribly worldly-wise, but I certainly didn't see this coming. A list of all items inside the parcel on the parcel. Along with my signature. Boy, is she going to have a mystery to solve. . .

(Because, you see, the USPS isn't keen on you signing said Customs form with "Your Secret Pal," or anything that obscures your identity. I know this because I got lectured. Slowly. As if English were not my native tongue.)

"Bummed" is the word for how I feel now. How do I keep even a modicum of unexpectedness going when I have to fill out flippin' paperwork?

We shall hope, in the spirit of the SP program, my Secret Pal will not look too closely at all the information provided for her on the very outside of her gifts. And even if she does, she will pretend not to know.

3 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Rox said...

Hey Chickie - you can always use someone elses address and name on the package. Maybe a friend in another state...:). Will throw off your pal. Also - she just knows your name, not your blog. She will have a really hard time going thru all of the blogs to figure out who you are.

Don't worry....

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Polly said...

What I do for my foreign pal is sign the customs slip, S. Pal. Postal clerks dont think twice about it. If you don't like the items listed, on the back of the customs slip it explains how you can do it without listing the contents. It's a bit more of a hassle, but if you want to be secretive...

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger spaazlicious said...

Yeah, what Polly said. I sign in big curlicue and fictionalise the return address. See, the bureaucrats only lecture you patronizingly if you're honest. And I generalise the contents list (lovely handmade scented soaps made in small batches locally = "skin cleanser" and my hand-reared glassy-winged sharpshooter fruit fly larva = "bath salts" and the latest rage in potential pandemics, live bird flu virus = "santeria amulet")

Um, just kidding with those last two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home