Monday, August 29, 2005

All You Can Do is Watch

Katrina absorbs all my energy and attention this morning; some times, 24-hour-news-channels are worthwhile.

In 1969, I was 9 years old, but I vividly remember the fear that Hurricane Camille produced in me. In fact, in all these subsequent years, the name "Camille" is in my bones as the Scariest of the Scary. Any hurricane I ever hear about, if it is compared to her, I know will be bad. For some reason, Andrew doesn't stick in my mind with the same terror. But this is being covered as equal to Camille, so deep memories and dreads are running through me.

And my mama outside Nashville may be getting some of the leftovers by tomorrow.

Funny that, as I was watching people filing into the Superdome for shelter, I was wondering whether knitting needles would be allowed in. I don't think they would have been. I would have been afraid and bored.

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

It is so sad. The pictures from the hurricane were unbelieveable. Gloria was the big hurricane of my lifetime but it was incomparable to Katrina. Devestating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home