Sunday, May 29, 2005

Old School

One of the yarns in one of the boxes I found lurking in the back of my closet the other day is a great powder blue with a running silver thread. I decided to make myself a shrug with ruffles on the sleeves.

Well, the pattern calls for, I think, 10 1/2 ounces of yarn. There are 11 1-ounce skeins of this, which works out fine. But these 1-ounce skeins are going quite a long way! The pattern has 3/4-length sleeves, but I may be able to get full-lengths, which I much prefer. Something about how yarn was packaged or weighed "back in the day" --- I've done a lot of knitting with yarn left from my mother's collection, and there's just more of it than in the skeins today.

Mama used to get her yarn from a store in Nashville run by a lady named Miss Lucy. I have clear memories of being in the shop, and the navy blue Bucilla boxes being kept under Mama and Daddy's bed, awaiting being turned into something wondrous. Mama is a great knitter. Truly. I doubt there's anything she can't make. Well, this yarn was in a navy blue Bucilla box, which makes it even more terrific to use.

Also, I grew up calling balls or hanks of yarn "skeens." I notice that every yarn shop operator now is calling them "skanes." I understand that the spelling demands the second. My memory, my loyalty and my comfort demand the first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home